Your home’s electrical system is essential, providing power for lighting, heating, cooling, entertainment, and cooking. While it may be tempting to overlook minor electrical issues in your home, postponing repairs can lead to serious safety hazards and costly damage.

Like all aspects of your home, the electrical system needs to be maintained and updated over time. When it comes to electrical repairs, here are a few projects that should never be put off.

Outdated Wiring

It’s not uncommon for homes to have outdated wiring systems. Properties with outdated electrical, such as knob-and-tube or aluminum wiring, may be at a higher risk of electrical hazards, including fire and electrical shock.

Signs your property may have outdated wiring include:

  • Frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers
  • Outlets with only two prongs
  • Overheating switches or outlets
  • Lack of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) in wet areas
  • Outdated electrical panel with fuses instead of circuit breakers

Many homes that are decades old require updated wiring to comply with modern standards. This can enhance safety and prevent potential dangers associated with obsolete, overloaded, or malfunctioning electrical systems.

Flickering Lights

If you notice lights flickering or dimming without an obvious cause, it could be a sign of loose wiring, a faulty fixture, or an overloaded circuit. Although flicking lights may not seem like a big problem, ignoring this issue may lead to potential fire hazards and should be addressed promptly by a qualified electrician.

Circuit Breaker Trips

Frequent circuit breaker trips are a warning sign of electrical problems, such as overloaded circuits, short circuits, or faulty appliances. Constantly resetting a tripped breaker isn’t a solution—it’s a temporary fix and should not be used to put off a larger problem. If left unaddressed, circuit breaker trips can pose a fire risk and cause damage to electrical devices, so it’s crucial to investigate and resolve the root cause.

Hot Outlets or Switches

If your home’s outlets, switches, or electrical panels feel warm or hot to the touch, it typically indicates an underlying wiring or electrical load problem. Delaying the repair of overheating electrical components can increase the risk of fire and electrical damage, so don’t put off having an electrician inspect these components.

Burnt or Charred Outlets

Visible burn marks or scorching on outlets, switches, or electrical devices indicates a severe electrical problem, possibly caused by arcing, sparking, or overloading. Continuing to use these outlets without repair is extremely dangerous and can lead to electrical fires. If you notice a burning smell or scorching marks around outlets or panels, it’s imperative to have your wiring inspected as soon as possible.

Malfunctioning GFCIs

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) play a crucial role in protecting against electrical shock and should be present in areas with water, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor locations. If your GFCIs fail to trip when tested or frequently trip without cause, it’s essential to have them inspected and repaired to ensure continued protection.

When to Call a Professional

It’s important to remember that dealing with electricity is inherently risky and should only be handled by qualified professionals. Attempting DIY electrical repairs can be hazardous and may result in serious injury or damage to your home. When faced with electrical issues, it’s crucial to hire an experienced, licensed electrician to inspect and address the problems as soon as possible.

Don’t Wait to Repair Your Home’s Electric

Don’t put off problems with your home’s electric system. Whether you’re experiencing an electrical emergency or need a routine inspection, contact CoreTrade Electric to schedule a consultation and protect your home, family, and property. Call us at (703) 785-6414 or reach us online via our contact form.

Skip to content